Who doesn’t love roast beef? Now with an oven, yes you read that right, an oven, you can cook roast beef and it is very easy any one can do it.
I know right, it’s almost impossible to find someone who doesn’t love roast beef, save for vegans.
Which brings up the next point. You may be asking yourself, with such an ambrosia for a meal it should definitely be complicated or difficult to cook, as it just too mouthwateringly scrumptious. Well the answer to that is no.
Anything can do with beef roast. But if you were wondering which cuts make for the best roast beef; sirloin, topside, silverside and top rump are some of the best choice pieces. However, you can use any piece and the results will still be outstanding.
1. So how do you cook beef roast in the oven?
Cooking beef roast in the oven is pretty much simple, but there are a few pointers you might need, like what is the best choice beef for roasting, what temperature you should cook the beef among others.
You’ll get to know more about that in a few. First, here is how you can cook beef roast in the oven.
- First start off by seasoning the beef. You can use any of your favorite spices for the seasoning, and please do not be shy. Put in whatever you like, whether its pepper, garlic or thyme. Just go for it. Prepare the marinade using your favorite spices and marinate the beef for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- While you are at it seasoning the beef, set the oven to heat at 325 degrees.
- Line a wire rack with baking sheet.
- Put the beef on the wire rack with the baking sheet.
- Place the wire rack in the oven and let it bake for some time. Cooking time will vary, but mostly a pound of beef will take 30 minutes to cook properly.
- Once the beef is properly cooked, take it out from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. Cover the meat using aluminum foil.
For best results, in a refrigerator, let the beef soak in the marinade for the whole day. Just to make sure the beef is thoroughly infused with flavor.
For the best tender beef roast use sirloin, top side and top rump.
If you haven’t got the time to marinate the beef, you can season with just pepper and salt.
2. Cooking roast beef with gravy in the oven.
This has two parts to it. Roasting the beef and preparing the gravy.
Roasting the beef.
- Start by preheating the oven to 425oF.
- As the oven heats up, marinate the beef for at least 30 minutes. For the marinade, you can prepare some using your favorite spices or coat the beef with Worcestershire sauce.
- Season the beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Place the beef in the roasting pan with the fat side facing up. Use a shallow roasting pan.
- Put the roasting pan in the oven. The rack should be fixed at the bottom.
- Bake the beef 15-20 minutes.
- Set the oven to heat at 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Let the beef bake some more, until it’s internal temperature is at 130oF-145oF. This should take around 2-2 ½ hours.
- Remove the beef from the oven and let it rest. Cover with aluminum foil.
Preparing the gravy.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour in ½ a cup of water. Stir until you achieve a smooth paste with no lumps.
- Take out any fat that may be left on the roasting pan, leaving the liquid behind.
- Scrape any drippings in the roasting pan. Add beef broth to the roasting pan and stir.
- Set the heat to medium.
- Once the broth begins to simmer, add the flour, water solution while continuously stirring.
- Let the mixture boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can add water to thin out the gravy if it’s too thick. Likewise, you can stir in more water and flour to thicken to your liking.
Once the gravy is ready, carve the beef and serve with the gravy while still warm. Enjoy
When searing the beef, always use oil that has a high smoke point like canola oil. This will prevent the beef from getting a smoky bitter taste.
Did you know you can cook meat without oil? Read it here.
Roast beef temperature.
Rare roast beef- the beef is still tender and juicy with the temperature ranging from 110 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
Medium rare roast beef- the beef has turned from bright purple to bright red. It is very juicy at this point with the temperature ranging between 130 to 140oF.
Medium roast beef- Pink in color, beef is now slightly juicy and tender with the temperature ranging between 140oF and 145oF.
Medium proper roast beef- the pink color of the beef becomes slightly tanned. It is tender but a bit firm with some little juice. The temperature ranges between 145 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
Properly done roast beef- the beef at this point has a brown tan on it. It may be a bit tough, with enough juice to be still tender. The temperature at this point is at 155 degrees Fahrenheit or more.
In all the recipes on how to cook roast beef in the oven, it is always best to slow roast the beef. This ensures the meat cooks evenly, while also allowing for the juices to be retained in the beef making for properly cooked firm but tender beef.
Optionally, you can also sear your beef in a skillet before roasting it in the oven. However, it is not necessary. You might like the extra flavor and appearance the beef gets from searing.
While you can always vary the cooking time for the beef to roast, to ensure the beef is properly cooked, check to confirm the beef’s internal temperature is at 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
To do this insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the beef.
Deer meat is the best! Read it here and find out why!